A Legacy 50 Years in the Making
In 1958, the Glenora Skating and Tennis Club, the Braemar Badminton Club, and the Royal Curling Club formed a committee to address Edmonton’s changing needs and the resulting financial strain on the three individual clubs. They decided that the best solution was to merge the three clubs into one - The Royal Glenora Club.
The committee chose to build the new club on a seven-acre parcel of land along River Valley Road near the High Level Bridge. Construction began in the autumn of 1959, and the Royal Glenora Club opened its doors on April 23, 1961.
In the late 1960s, the Club offered Hawaiian and Mexican parties, Bierstubes, Chinese New Year dances, and Saturday night dinner dances. The New Year’s Eve Ball and black-tie President’s Ball are still held every year.
The Glenora Skating and Tennis Club also hosted annual ice shows, a tradition that was carried over to the new Royal Glenora Club. Shows like Hollywood on Ice, Starlight Express, Phantom of the Ice, and Les Mis on Ice were performed every winter by rising stars from the Club’s skating program.
In May 2011, in honour of the RGC’s 50-year anniversary, segments from the most recent shows were combined to provide an evening of entertainment with Ice Memories. The show included several of the Club’s top alumni skaters.
Since the Royal Glenora Club opened its doors, the Club has gained a reputation for training provincial, national, and world champions in skating and racquet sports. This includes noted names like Kurt Browning, Ben Ferreira, Cody Hay, Susan Humphreys, David Pelletier, Jamie Salé, Lisa Sargeant-Driscoll, and Michael Slipchuk.
The Club has brought in several nationally and internationally ranked athletic professionals to train up-and-coming athletes, including former Swedish National skating champion and Olympic competitor Jan Ullmark; four-time World Champion, Olympic medallist, and Skate Canada Hall of Fame inductee Bernard Ford; Alberta Tennis Hall of Fame inductee Reidar Getz; and Chinese Junior Nationals Singles badminton champion Wang Wen.
The Royal Glenora Club’s facilities have been upgraded and improved over the decades. As a result of growing membership, 7,000-square-foot handball and squash courts opened in 1973. The Club further expanded in 1980 with new locker facilities, volleyball and basketball courts, a mini gym, a new pro shop, and a refurbished main lounge. In 1990, the RGC replaced its curling sheets with three indoor tennis courts built to Davis Cup standards.
Construction on the Club’s 14,000-square-foot Aquatic Centre began in 2008. The facility opened in 2010 with a six-lane lap pool, a teaching pool, a hot tub, a waterslide, and a splash pool. Due to flooding during construction, additional renovations were made to the skating rink and racquet sport courts.
The Royal Glenora Club’s rich history has contributed to the Club’s legacy as one of Edmonton’s top athletic and social clubs. We have worked hard to meet our Members’ expectations by providing excellent service, a range of social activities, and a family-oriented atmosphere that will continue to make the Royal Glenora Club a second home to our members for years to come.
Find your life enriched at the Royal Glenora Club